The first recorded Mass on Fishers Island was in 1893 at the
old schoolhouse, now the Fishers Island Library, and it
was led by Reverend John
Ferry. Father Ferry was the first resident priest from 1899-1903
and was commissioned as the Army Chaplain. Prior to that time,
priests from the St. James Pro-Cathedral of Long Island, would
travel to Fishers Island to celebrate Mass from May through October.
In 1911 Father Joesph McLaughlin was chosen as the first year-round Pastor and the congregation numbered 450 parishioners. It was largely comprised of soldiers from the Fort Wright complex and the summer church attendance increased to 1,000 parishioners.
Additional historical highlights include:
All are welcome to worship at Our Lady of Grace, and we are pleased
to announce our newly installed addition of an ADA-compliant ramp for
*Historical facts graciously provided by James Wall and photo credits provided by Jane Ahrens + Gina Scumaci.